Where it all began . . .
The Trafalgar Tavern was built in 1837, the year Queen Victoria ascended to the throne. Prior to the Trafalgar there was a small inn, The Old George, which served local fisherman. It was a popular public house due to its prominent position on the River Thames as well as being close to Greenwich Hospital, the Woolwich Dockyard and Westminster. In 1830 the owner of The Old George planned to expand the building but, unfortunately for him, the architect he engaged saw the potential in his plan and intentionally derailed the application to the commissioner. The architect then hatched a plan to take over ownership of the site.